Make the footer navigation show Index Titles Not Page Titles

I'm using the Nueva template and for the primary and secondary navigations, the titles of indexes (not pages within indexes) show up in the navigation bars, which is fine. However in the footer navigation only the titles of pages within indexes show up in the navigation bar, not index titles.

How do I make the footer navigation behave the same way as the primary and secondary navigations? Seems like it should be simple but all the other questions on here about this have no answers.

Edited by whitestar
Initial Revision
  • 4 months later...

If you drag an Index to the FOOTER NAVIGATION area (within the Pages panel) on the Brine-family of templates, only the Pages within the Index will appear as navigation links, instead of the Index itself. 

footer-navigation-pages-brine.png.fc1a9e3d746d0b1c426714527c8848da.png

The workaround is click the plus sign (+) beside FOOTER NAVIGATION in the Pages panel and then choose Link. When the link editor opens, click the gear icon and then search for the name of the Index.

When you add the lndex in this way, the Index will appear as a nav item instead of the pages within it.

Edited by paul2009
Explanation improved.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...

@paul2009 That is actually not true. If you look at this site below, you can see that the creator successfully did exactly what the original poster was enquiring about. 

https://seattleboulderingproject.com/

Does anyone know how to modify the foot navigation to behave the same way as the primary and secondary navigations - the titles of indexes (not pages within indexes) show up in the navigation bar.

Edited by esteward
  • 2 months later...
On 11/20/2019 at 2:41 AM, paul2009 said:

If you drag an Index to the FOOTER NAVIGATION area (within the Pages panel) on the Brine-family of templates, only the Pages within the Index will appear as navigation links, instead of the Index itself. 

footer-navigation-pages-brine.png.fc1a9e3d746d0b1c426714527c8848da.png

The workaround is click the plus sign (+) beside FOOTER NAVIGATION in the Pages panel and then choose Link. When the link editor opens, click the gear icon and then search for the name of the Index.

When you add the lndex in this way, the Index will appear as a nav item instead of the pages within it.

Question about this @paul2009! I'm happy with having just the pages within the index show, BUT i'd like to remove a few, is this possible?

Reason being, the first pages are just banner image and not a page I want people to go to solely, bc there isn't any real content. How can I remove some of the links?

Thank you! 

• 6 months later...
On 9/18/2021 at 4:38 AM, GwenAJ said:

I have almost the opposite issue. I somehow got an index that was 'under' another page, separated out,  now shows up twice in the footer navigation.
How do I fix it?
Thx!

Can you share link to your site?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)