Back End (CMS) URL Showing in Google Search -- WHY?

Hi --Google produced a search result that linked to a page from the back end (content management system) of my Squarespace site.

To be clear, the search result did not link to the normal ".com" URL, but rather to the Squarespace-generated random URL that appears when making updates to the site.

-- What is going on here?

-- How is Google crawling & accessing the CMS?

-- Is unpublished content also vulnerable to prying Google eyes?

Many thanks,Sam

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'd like to help but without the URLs it is difficult to understand what you are asking. If you have question about how your site is working, Squarespace Customer Care should always be your first stop. You can reach out to them here.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks for the reply. I checked Customer Care, but none of the topics apply to my question.

It's the "back end" URL that appeared in Google search. It's the nonsensical URL that is visible when logged into my Squarespace account in order to update my website.

I've not been able to find an answer to this anywhere online. Very odd.

Thanks for the reply. I checked Customer Care, but none of the topics apply to my question.

It's the "back end" URL that appeared in Google search. It's the nonsensical URL that is visible when logged into my Squarespace account in order to update my website.

I've not been able to find an answer to this anywhere online. Very odd.

When your website is visible (not password-protected) the primary domain will be crawled by Search Engines and will subsequently appear in search results. That's quite normal. If you haven't added a custom domain before this happens, the sitename.squarespace.com domain will be primary and will appear in results.

If you need further clarification you can contact Customer Care. Don't worry about the relevance of the topics.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks again. I'll give this one last attempt here before moving on as you've suggested.

My site:https://www.samgenovese.com/

And the "back-end" URL that appears in search (happens on laptop and iphone): https://fish-koala-8gmr.squarespace.com/news/2018/04/21/album-available-now-entanglementing

The "fish-koala" URL is the Squarespace-generated url I see when editing my site after logging in.

Why is it showing up in search?

Kind regards,Sam

Archived