Can I backup my site?

1 hour ago, leftheaded said:

I accidentally deleted a section from our website.

You looked in Pages > Deleted Pages for your deleted content and it wasn't there?

1091336037_ScreenShot2020-11-14at11_08_08AM.png.2cd871bc28b1ee4aa083b486d395db54.png

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 3 months later...

I have had many converations with SQS during 2021. Backup is not supported. And when your site grow, and you therefore may need it the most, you can no longer duplicate your site +100 pages, which is a workaround.

In my experience having had a website at SQS for 6 years, SQS launch things 2-3 years after they have been mandatory for website owners.

As an example

• commerce (came way too late)

• membership functions (also came way too late)

Presently SQS publicly in their guides  advise you to export to WP if you happen to need a backup.

SQS also may tell you to trash pages, to get below 100 pages. Then you might think "great should be easy" but what those DEVs working at their office may not know is that this procedure breaks your content such as URL slugs

If you need a backup, of your hard-earned online SQS business, you need to write in your calendar right now the steps required to make the final switch to WP and never look back

Edited by Soren Madsen
typo
  • 3 months later...
On 11/13/2020 at 7:14 AM, tuanphan said:

The only way is duplicate your site..

This is ok in theory but for sites that have more than 100 pages, SquareSpace has imposed a limit where you cannot duplicate.

I find the ongoing lack of version control in this platform very unsettling. Many forum members have raised compelling justifications for this "safety" feature and I really hope SS product decision makers are paying attention. It's clearly a heated issue that might cause valuable paying customers to leave... 

• 7 months later...

Because Squarespace's market demographic is only Micky Mouse Operations without any backup features for premium users, I had a client that lost large amounts of data due to human error that I could not salvage. Luckily Microsoft Bing Search Engine had a cached copy of the old page content. Google also keeps cached copies but seems to update their cache stores more frequently (which was an issue in my case). How to look at old cached copies of your site content:

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/view-cached-version-of-a-website#:~:text=View Cache,cached version of the website.

• 4 weeks later...