Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search

How do I link a folder title within the navigation to a page?

libby
Go to solution Solved by Jo_G,

Question

I am using the Five template and have set up a folder style navigation. Is it possible to get the top level navigation (the folder) to go to the first sub-page when clicked?

Currently there is no way to get it to go anywhere. In Squarespace 5 you could set a page to be the default page of the folder when the folder was clicked. When you rollover the folder it behaves like a link so from a usability stand point it should link to something.

If I can’t get it to link, can I remove the “looks like a link” behaviors (e.g. rollover color change, mouse pointer change) just on the folders?

I am also having trouble with the drop-downs disappearing when I rollover them to click. This is another reason I want to be able to click the folders – when I am testing I can’t get to my subfolders!

Edited by justin1024
  • Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Here's one way to solve this: Open the folder's settings/configuration window (click its gear icon in the Pages panel). In the Navigation Title field, paste in: <a href="/PAGESLUG">NAME</a

Posted Images

Hi there... I would actually like to do the complete opposite.I want to make the parent page un-clickable and simply display the drop-down menu.Especially for cursor-less navigtation on mobile devices.

Any suggestions? @pguerreroxThanks

This works, but it hides the top link in all my folders in the navigation bar. Is there way to hide the top link from just one folder but leave another one?

Anyone try to apply this same logic to hiding the 'Pets' link in the folder sidebar?

hi - did you ever solve the extra spacing issue in the nav bar?

I've been making a bunch of sites for clients. I started to do more coding as both my clients and my goals extend beyond the given toolset.

@bobvonelgg

This is a really great solution and I got everything changed in my navigation bar only to find that it really caused problems on my mobile navigation menu.

All of the folders that originally displayed like this "+ start here" have now broken into two lines which requires you to click on the "+" if you want to access the submenu and the "start here" if you want to get to the unlinked page. Would you have any idea of how to resolve this issue?

Hi, thanks for this. It seems to be working well for me but I have one problem: The font weight is now different to the rest of the navigation buttons, and I can't change it in the style editor. DO I need some CSS for this? Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks, Rob.

To remove the spacing, add an id to the link.

<a id="navigation-folder-hack" href="/company">Company</a>

Use css and alter the margin. This will cause problems in the mobile navigation. So to avoid this, in the mobile css, add the margin back and make the anchor tag inline.

//remove extra spacing from added link to folder
#navigation-folder-hack {
 margin-left: -30px;
}

@media only screen and (max-width: 640px) { 

//fix navigation-folder-hack for mobile
#navigation-folder-hack {
 margin-left: 0px;
 display:inline !important;
}
}

Edited by quann

I use the Foster template part of (Bedford), follow the initial instructions except (slug name) leave as is and it works! If you try to rename it'll give you an error message that says the name is taken.

Thank you! This works to create a link; however, it also places a weird space in front of the folder I turn into a link. How can I avoid/remove this space?