How can I track form submissions in Google Analytics?

Go to solution Solved by foleyatwork,

• 2 weeks later...

jQuery code injection will do the job. Just inject the following code on your form page, replacing the category and action with your own labels.

<script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1/jquery.min.js"></script>
   <script type="text/javascript">

$(document).ready(function(){
       $('input.button').click(function() {
           window.setInterval(foo, 100);
       });
   });

function foo(){
           if($(".form-submission-text").is(':visible')){
               _gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'YourForm', 'Submission']);
           }
   }

</script>

Edited by edwinorange
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Paste the following code into the footer code injection of your site.

<script>
 Y.use('node', function() {
   Y.on('domready', function() {
     Y.all('.form-block').each(function(n) {
       var d = n.getData('block-json');
       d = Y.JSON.parse(d);
       n.one('form').on('submit',function() {
         _gaq.push(['_trackEvent', d.formName + ' Submission', 'Form Submission', 'Submit']);
       });
     });
   });
 });
</script>

This is a one step process. Once you paste this code in your footer, each form will be tracked automatically with the form name in Google Analytics.

Please post any feedback as a comment here. If there is a bug I will try and fix it.

Also, please note this is not supported by Squarespace, even though I am a Squarespace employee. Support won't be able to help you out, but I will do my best to make sure this code works and stays up-do-date.

Edited by foleyatwork

Developer Evangelist at Squarespace.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello-

Would this also work for tracking e-commerce conversions? I am searching for a way to track conversions from Adwords, etc through to purchase. There is currently no way to inject code into the completed sale page.

Any help is appreciated.

Andy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am unable to get this to work.

Looking at the page elements in the browser inspector window I do not see the formName property in the form-block, and thus when the form 'submit' event fires, d.formName is undefined. My form-block looks like this:

<div class="sqs-block form-block" data-block-json="{"useLightbox":false,"lightboxHandleText":"Get Info","formId":"51d4498ee4b03b50e2322d8c"}" data-block-type="9" id="block-6d99117d0a0ea3afbb33">

is there another way to get the formName from the formId?

Edited by Mark L
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This does not work with google adwords campaigns.

Any proof it does?

Since squarespace is so focused on small businesses, wouldn't this be a core feature? Tracking money spent to drive traffic that converts to my new sqaurespace contact form?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

THIS IS FOR ADWORDS, NOT ANALYTICSYou can simply paste the Google Adwords code into the Post-Submit HTML box under Edit Form -> Advanced. e.g:

?value=0&label=7opUCNj90wQQmJWz6AMX&guid

This script will be fired only on successful submission of the form.

See My new Answer Related to a simple method related to creating a /Thank-You page.

Edited by webbroi

ok, so @foleyatwork i just tried this (adding the google adwords script to the 'post-submit html' on the contact's advance form. @webbroi said this works).

we'll see, but it looks like the code is there on the first page load too. i believe that will trigger a google adwords 'conversion' as soon as the contact page is loaded. correct me if i'm wrong.

thanks!

Edited by odower
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

I'm interested in using this code snippet in the footer of my site to track form submissions, but I wanted to check first to make sure this would work as is, even if I have changed the names of the submission buttons from the standard "Submit" to something else like "Register"? Will this code still automatically send all form submissions to Google Analytics?

Thanks!