Site URL: http://www.eneri.net
I am not a programmer and I have minimal knowledge, so I apologize if I use the terms wrong and causes confusion!
I have an existing website, eneri.net, currently hosting with myhosting.com, domain registered and hosted at Network Solutions, and existing email is hosted at G-Suite. I need to move my web hosting over to squarespace, the email also needs to work.
I have chatted with the SS customer support and I only got a bunch of links to documentation, they are not very clear on instructing what I need to do and if all this can work. The only thing I learned from the chat was, theoretically it will work. My questions here:
- SS recommends that we "transfer" (instead of just "connecting/pointing the domain to the website") the domain hosting completely over to SS. Can someone really explain why ? Do we HAVE TO do that in order to gain access to the MX records, so I change it to point to Google/G-suite?
- Will customer service help the migration when the time comes? So far I can only find support via chat and they copy and paste documents that doesn't sooth my concerns. I want to see if MORE technical support is available hidden somewhere.
- How long will my email service be interrupted from the time I have to move the domain / transfer the domain, to changing the MX records ? Any smart ways to avoid downtime to a minimal? I care less about my website being down, but email is crucial.
- Can someone list out a step by step list on what I need to do for the most seamless migration? Has anyone done this before and care to share the dos and don'ts, tips and tricks?
- I don't want to "transfer" my domain hosting from Network Solutions to SS because I worry some years down the line I'll have to move web hosting, and it will be a pain or may not even be possible to get my domain name out. Is my worry valid?
- Lastly an unrelated question - do we have to get the $18 business plan in order to use CSS?! Really?
Thanks in advance and I hope I will get help here.